Features Senior Buyers Should Look For
1. Light and Bright! A home with a well-lit interior as well as large windows that allow natural light in is not only cheerful - it's safer. It's hard to see obstacles such as a pair of shoes or even a piece of furniture in a dimly lit home.
2. Bar Grips and Handrails. Avoiding accidents is a priority, so having handrails and grips anywhere there could be slippery areas (such as bathrooms and stairways) is something to look for.
3. Open Floor Plan. Open spaces are easier to navigate, with or without a walker or rollator. An open floorplan can make it easier to maximize the space as well.
4. Slip-Resistant Flooring. Slip-resistant tile, vinyl, or just surfaces that increase friction between the floor and the foot can help prevent slips and falls.
5. Taller Toilets. Lower toilets can be hazardous (another slip and fall risk). If the home doesn't already have high toilets, consider replacing them. It's typically an inexpensive project, and can be very beneficial.
6. Lever Door Handles. Easy to grip &/or open door handles are preferable over traditional door knobs.
7. Wider doorways and hallways. These are important for the same reasons as having an open floorplan. Spaces that are easier to navigate are safer.
8. Good insulation. This will help prevent extreme temperature swings.
9. One story or first floor. Stairs can be a slip & fall hazard, so the fewer stairs the better.
10. Ramps and/or Elevators. These can help with elevation changes or situations where the living space is on an upper floor.
More people than ever are choosing to "age in place" by staying in their homes. Considering these points when looking for the right home for you will help you to enjoy your home for a longer period of time with a better quality of life. Ready to look for your forever home? Call me today - my office is open 7 days a week for your convenience and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!Laura Harbison, ABR, AHWD, BPOR, BS, CDPE, CRS, DRB, GRI, PSA, RSPS, SRES
Broker/Owner REALTY EXECUTIVES SOUTHERN NEVADA PROPERTIES
License Numbers B.0026537LLC PM.0164922.BKR